Dover-Foxcroft

Young chicken farmer learning important civics lesson

By Stuart Hedstrom
Staff Writer

DOVER-FOXCROFT — Currently the Dover-Foxcroft Land Use Ordinance permits the keeping of domesticated, non-commercial chickens in the the residential and village zones, with a maximum of six female chickens allowed in these sections of town regardless of how many dwelling units are on the lot. A 9-year-old resident of Pleasant Street would like to increase the size of his flock, meeting with the planning board to propose that the maximum be doubled from six to 12 birds per property.

PO CHICKENHOLD 3 16820030Observer photo/Stuart Hedstrom

CHICKEN AMENDMENT Nine-year-old Owen Sherman recently spoke to the Dover-Foxcroft Planning Board about his desire to have the town’s land use ordinance amended to increase the maximum number of chickens allowed in the residential and village zones from six to 12 hens. Sherman would like to add his flock of four birds, but state law allows for chickens to only be purchased in multiples of six. Sherman has been tending to chickens since the age of 4.

“The first thing is you can only have six chickens at a time,” said Owen Sherman, who is a fourth-grader at the SeDoMoCha Elementary School, the week after he addressed the planning board at its Jan. 7 meeting. “The more chickens you have the warmer the hens are in the winter,” he said, saying the hens flock together for warmth “and one lonely chicken isn’t going to last long.”

Sherman’s mother Barbara Estabrook Sherman said per state law chickens can only be purchased in multiples of six. Her son currently has a flock of four hens, so an addition to the group would be a violation of the town’s ordinance of the half dozen limit.

“I think it’s been great for Owen, he’s a learned a lot,” she said. “It’s such a great civics lesson for him. We are going through the proper channels and being responsible.” Estabrook Sherman said her son prepared notes for the planning board meeting and he was nervous about speaking to the group about his request “but he really wants some more chickens.”

The planning board looked favorably upon Sherman’s request to double the number of allowable chickens, and the item was brought to the selectmen who also did not object to the request. A public hearing on the matter is scheduled for the planning board’s next meeting on Thursday, Feb. 4 at 6:30 p.m. at the Morton Avenue Municipal Building.

Estabrook Sherman said her son asked if he could start making posters for his cause that night to let the public know his position. Sherman said he may attach these posters to his chicken stroller as he walks his pets around town.

“I have had them since I was 4 years old, which is almost six years,” Sherman said. “It’s not the eggs I like best, it’s the personalities. The chickens can actually help me calm down sometimes, if I have had a bad day I can go in the chicken compound and snuggle.”

Behind his home Sherman has a fenced-in area for the chickens around the coop. His flock is comprised of three Rhode Island Reds, named Buttercup, Henryetta and Ruby, and an Orpington named Snowy for the color of its feathers.

“I’m going to get Bantams and Silkies if this goes right,” Sherman said about his plans for his additions. He keeps up to date on the species by reading Chickens Magazine. Sherman’s love for his birds is shown with pictures of himself and his pets and chicken figurines decorating his home, as well having his “Chickmas Tree” on display for the holidays.

Sherman fed his hens baloney worms, “Basically it’s baloney that’s cut up and they also like cheese, especially provolone.” He then put petroleum jelly on the birds’ feet and combs. “This is the hardest part about having chickens in the wintertime,” Sherman said.

He said his hens “lay one egg per day unless they’re molting,” and Sherman picked up a batch of four eggs from the coop egg room after feeding and tending to the hens.

“I think it is important to know where your food comes from,” said Estabrook Sherman. Knowing the livestock is being treated humanely is also vital. “I really think people should have the right to raise their own food.”

She added that she is thankful to live in a small town such as Dover-Foxcroft where a concern such as increasing the number of chickens allowed can be brought directly to the municipal government.

PO CHICKENWORM 3 16820032Observer photo/Stuart Hedstrom

BALONEY WORMS Owen Sherman of Dover-Foxcroft gives one of his Rhode Island Reds a “baloney worm” or cut-up strip of the meat. Sherman currently has four hens in the coop located behind his Pleasant Street home in Dover-Foxcroft.

PO CHICKENFEED 3 16820042Observer photo/Stuart Hedstrom

SEEKING TO LENGTHEN THE PECKING ORDER Owen Sherman is hoping to have the Dover-Foxcroft Land Use Ordinance amended so residential and village zone residents can keep up to a maximum of 12 chickens instead of the current figure of six. Sherman, who is the fourth grade at SeDoMoCha Elementary, currently has three Rhode Island Reds and one Orpington in his flock of four birds.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.