Police & Fire

Several sheep die in Exeter barn fire

By Julie Harris, Bangor Daily News Staff

EXETER — A barn on Brown Road in Exeter burned flat Saturday, Feb. 17. killing 15-20 lambs and ewes, according to the town’s fire chief.

Firefighters from six departments and farm owners Simon and Eliza Alexander were able to rescue approximately 60 other sheep, Fire Chief Allen Emerson said. One firefighter injured his back when he fell on the ice in the yard, he said.

The nearby Fogler farm made room for the displaced sheep until the Alexanders could arrange a new shelter for them.

It’s lambing season, so there were some ewes and newborn lambs in the barn. Emerson said the Alexanders were using heat lamps to keep the newborn lambs warm, but it was unknown if that was the cause of the fire.

The chief plans to call the state fire marshal’s office Monday, Feb. 19 but he said there is nothing left of the barn.

The fire had reached the outside of the garage attached to the farmhouse when firefighters arrived, but it was quickly extinguished, Emerson said. There was no damage to the inside of the garage or to the house, he said.

The call came in at 2:54 a.m.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.