Milo

Milo’s Knowles selected as ‘Veteran of the Day’

PO KNOWLES 39 16 18726783

Contributed composite photo
VETERAN OF THE DAY — U.S. Marine Corps veteran Ronald Knowles of Milo was honored as Veteran of the Day earlier in the month on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Facebook page.

MILO — Ronald “Ron” Knowles was selected as “Veteran of the Day” for Sept. 10 on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Facebook page.

According to the page post, Knowles joined the U.S. Marine Corps at the age of 17. He served between the years of 1953 and 1955 in Parris Island, Camp Lejeune, and Camp Pendleton. From 1955-56, he served with the Charlie Co, 3rd Eng. Bn., 3rd Marine Div., building bridges, airports and other structures in Okinawa, Japan.

After Knowles left the service he worked as a welder, insurance representative and – his most favorite job – he worked on the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad as fireman, carman and welder and on the Canadian Pacific Railroad as a trainman and conductor for over 27 years before retiring.

Knowles is currently retired and living in Milo during the summer months and Florida in the winter months.

In 2007 Knowles started the Milo Veteran’s Memorial Fund and with a group of volunteers was able to raise enough money to break ground on a memorial in Milo in July 2010. In 2012 the major part of the project was complete and a dedication took place on June 30, 2012. The memorial grew to exceed Knowles’ original goal of 300 pavers.

On the Facebook announcement Knowles wrote, “I want to thank the U.S. Department of Military Affairs for honoring me. It has been labor of love working on this project to honor my fellow comrades and all of our brothers in arms that made the ultimate sacrifice. Again, Thank you for this honor.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.