Dover-Foxcroft

Charlotte White Center CEO announces retirement

PO BROWNRETIREMUG 36 16 18578185DOVER-FOXCROFT — After nearly 38 years at the helm of the Charlotte White Center, CEO Richard Brown announced that he will retire no later than June 30, 2017.

The Charlotte White Center (CWC) provides quality community health and social services for adults, children and families affected by cognitive or developmental disabilities, behavioral or mental health challenges, domestic violence, cerebral palsy or acquired brain injuries.

Brown was hired Feb. 14, 1979, as one of four staff members. He started as the chief cook, bottle washer and van driver, commuting every day to Monson and Greenville to transport clients to and from the CWC. He is one of the last employees who personally knew the CWC’s namesake and source of inspiration, Charlotte Hudson White, who was elected to the Maine State House of Representatives, where she served until 1973. She devoted much of her time in the Legislature to increasing services for people with disabilities.

Brown helped transform and grow the organization into what it is today — a mission-driven nonprofit that supports over 1,200 individuals and families on an annual basis.

“The Center has been such a part of my life I feel almost welded to its existence,” Brown said. “It has formed me and shaped me into the person I am today. For nearly 38 years I have had the presence of Charlotte White and the agency in my heart and soul.”

Brown said that his decision was an extraordinarily difficult one to make, but he’s confident that handing over his position to a new generation of visionaries and caregivers will only lead to the CWC’s continued success.

“I look forward to a new chapter in my life and spending more time with my wife and family,” Brown said.

The CWC Board of Directors has formed an executive search committee and is actively conducting a national search for a highly qualified replacement. Brown will remain as CEO until a replacement is hired and spend a period of time working with the new CEO to pass down his institutional knowledge.

“Richard will be hard to replace,” Cynthia Freeman Cyr, president of the board of directors, said. “His advance notice gives us plenty of time to do a thorough national search for his replacement. We are confident that the coming months will bring CWC the continued strong positioning needed to assure a robust continuation of our mission and exemplary service to our clients.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.