Dover-Foxcroft

Filmmaker/composer McKane returns to Center Theatre

DOVER-FOXCROFT — “Northeast by Eastern” will be presented at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 11 at the Center Theatre. Created by filmmaker and composer Sumner McKane, “Northeast by Eastern” combines Eastern Illustrating and Publishing Company’s comprehensive collection of early 20th century photographs of rural New England and upstate New York with archival film footage, interviews, oral histories, and a musical soundtrack featuring period music, as well as an original score by McKane performed live during the event.

The stories and images in this film and live presentation illustrate an era unlike any other in American history. Interviews and oral histories not only detail the history of the Eastern Illustrating and Publishing Company, and the postcard craze of the early 1900s, but also unfold tales from a quieter, simpler, yet stirring and enterprising time period. The audience gets to hear first-hand accounts of smuggling during prohibition, of river drivers brawling for fun, of growing up without worry and without constant adult supervision, and of slop buckets spilling on tourists’ pies, all woven together against a backdrop of archived films and Eastern Illustrating’s exceptional work.

“I’m excited to have a new show by Sumner coming to the Center Theatre,” says Patrick Myers, executive director. “Being here on the edge of the great north woods, I think many of us feel a connection to those that worked the woods in years gone by. We’ve had great response to Sumner’s previous works ‘In the Blood’, and ‘The Maine Frontier’ and personally, I’m really looking forward to seeing his newest work.”

The Center Theatre is a nonprofit performing arts center dedicated to making the arts a part of life in the Maine Highlands. This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Center Theatre reopening its doors to produce affordable entertainment, arts and education. For more information call 564-8943, stop by the 20 East Main Street location between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekdays or visit www.centertheatre.org.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.