Dover-Foxcroft

Officials meet with Rep. Higgins

By Stuart Hedstrom
Staff Writer

DOVER-FOXCROFT — The selectmen had the opportunity to hear about developments from the 127th session of the Maine State Legislature from Rep. Norm Higgins (R-Dover-Foxcroft) during a May 23 meeting.

“I thought I would just highlight a few of the key issues,” Higgins said, starting with broadband Internet. The representative said a bill for $1 million in broadband funding was passed by both the Maine House of Representatives and the State Senate but did not make it through the appropriations committee.

Higgins said the Piscataquis County Economic Development Council’s (PCEDC) application for about $125,000 in broadband planning grant funds was turned down, and he said council Executive Director Chris Winstead is looking to see why. Higgins said the Eastern Maine Development Corporation was awarded monies for Internet service upgrades, and some of these funds may be used in Piscataquis County.

“There are two other issues I have spend a lot of time on and still spend a lot of time on,” Higgins said. The first issue mentioned was biomass, as the Legislature approved an approximate $13.5 million bailout bill for a pair of biomass plants.

Another issue Higgins has put a great deal of effort in is solar power. Along with broadband and biomass, “I see all three of them as job creators, economic development drivers all in different ways.” Higgins said a solar bill passed both houses, was vetoed by Gov. Paul LePage and fell two short of the necessary vote total needed to override the governor’s veto.

“I think we missed a great opportunity and I think it would have created jobs as well,” Higgins said.

He said he and Rep. Sara Gideon (D-Freeport) both spoke in support of the solar bill on the House floor. “We didn’t do it because it was a Republican issue or a Democrat issue, we did it because we thought it would be a good economic proposal for Maine.”

Higgins was asked about Medicaid expansion in the state, which he described as an ideological issue for some and an economic issue for others. “I thought it made sense for Piscataquis County,” he said, saying such an expansion in a poor region of Maine would provide coverage for some without insurance and others who are underinsured. “As you may know there were not a lot in my party who agreed with me.”

There have been successes in the last session of the Legislature, Higgins said. He said a pilot project to provide more residents with heat pumps is one example.

Higgins said Emera Maine will be funding the devices for income-eligible residents, who can choose the dealer, installer and maintainer of their heat pump. The costs cannot be greater than their electric bill “so the consumer can’t get hurt because they can’t pay more.”

Another success Higgins mentioned is Fairpoint being required to provide telephone service to every home in the state. “Basically if you have a telephone line and you live in rural Maine your line is safe,” Higgins said, with rates increases capped at 5 percent annually.

Town Manager Jack Clukey asked Higgins about the efforts to increase the presence of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) in Piscataquis County.

“I think the follow through has not been what any of us would like,” Higgins responded, as a meeting took place in the fall with DHHS Commissioner Mary Mayhew with members of the public sharing their concerns with her. Higgins said to his knowledge a pilot program that could have DHHS employees working out of the region several times a month has not been implemented.

“That’s a good question and I will follow up,” he said.

In other business, Clukey reported on several items in his report.

“The Mill owners are still pursuing a repair on the smoke stack,” Clukey said, as an application will be filed with the Maine Historic Preservation Office to allow the structure to be repaired and a portion be removed. “None of its being used and ever will be, it’s just for historic purposes.”

Clukey said the town will complete the installation of the Mill’s nearby Riverwalk trail this summer as part of the improvements started in 2014.

The week before the PCEDC was notified that the organization’s applications for two brownfields assessments grants were approved, with $200,000 earmarked for petroleum assessments and another $200,000 for hazardous building materials assessments.

The town manager said the grants could help those who “own a property and think there might be some hazardous material but aren’t really sure.” He said the program “is one of the many impactful things the PCEDC does.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.