Dover-Foxcroft

Corridor moratorium hearing set

By Stuart Hedstrom
Staff Writer

DOVER-FOXCROFT — Via a June 2014 town meeting vote, residents approved an ordinance concerning private distribution corridors including paved highways, pipelines and high tension transmission lines. The moratorium ordinance enacted then — meaning permits for these kinds of development projects cannot be granted during the timeline — was in effect for 180 days, and since then the moratorium has been extended for 180 days on two more occasions.

The current moratorium expires on Dec. 4, and on Monday, Nov. 23 the selectmen will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. to determine whether the need still exists and whether reasonable progress is being made in order to extend the moratorium for 180 more days through June 2, 2016.

During the public comment portion of an Oct. 26 select meeting, Town Manager Jack Clukey was asked if there was any reason to think the moratorium would not be extended.

“With past discussions we have had, we have been in favor of extending the ordinance,” he said. He said work continues on the comprehensive plan — demonstrating that reasonable progress is being made — and this document can hopefully be brought to the voters on the November 2016 ballot.

“We can only do six months at a time, that’s why we have done multiple extensions,” Clukey said.

A question from the board for Clukey asked if he had heard anything from a committee involved with a community bill of rights ordinance. “I don’t think I  have been contacted by anyone on that ordinance,” he replied.

Select Vice Chair Cindy Freeman Cyr said the group was scheduled to meet on Nov. 8. “I think after that the committee will be back in touch with the board,” she said.

In his town manager’s report Clukey said the comprehensive plan committee has been meeting monthly and hopes to send the document to the state for approval by May or June. With this timeline the plan would be up for a vote in a little over a year with several public hearings taking place before the first Tuesday in November of 2016.

“We have a nature trail behind the building here,” Clukey said, saying a group of students and staff members at the nearby SeDoMoCha Middle School have started work to reinvigorate the path. “It’s kind of neat and I think they want to start pretty soon to have it done for next summer,” he said.

In order to avoid a conflict with the Piscataquis County Economic Development Council’s annual meeting on Dec. 14, the selectmen’s lone December meeting has been moved to Monday, Dec. 21 from the second Monday of the month.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.