Greenville

‘As the Crow Flys’ features unique gifts and primitive décor

By Mike Lange
Staff Writer

MONSON — After years of working in the woods, Richard Fowles of Monson decided to concentrate on his favorite hobby: making hand-crafted wooden bowls.
    As his inventory grew, his wife, Diana, decided to open a place to display them.
    Thus, “As the Crow Flys” was born — a unique gift shop featuring not only Richard Fowles’ hand-turned bowls, but a stunning collection of primitive décor, quilts, pottery and gifts.

LO-CrowHand-DC-PO-45Observer photo/Mike Lange

HAND-CRAFTED — As the Crow Flys owner Diana Fowles shows off two of the wooden bowls made by her husband, Richard.

The tidy shop at 418 Greenville Road, a mile-and-a-half north of Monson, is filled with every imaginable gift idea from linens to Maine-made maple syrup.
    When customers walk in, they’re greeted with the aroma of sweet Annie herbs hanging from the ceiling.
    “We’re trying to carry as many Maine products as possible,” said Diana Fowles. “For example, we have really nice hand-knit mittens from a local lady and wooden marionettes made in Fort Kent.”
    In addition to the wooden bowls, As the Crow Flys also carries candle racks and bread and cutting boards made by Richard Fowles; quilts, pottery, linens, holiday decorations, homemade gift bags, hand-made signs — in stock and special orders — and plenty more.
    “I’m increasing my inventory little by little,” said the shop owner. “I’m always looking for something different.”
    So how did she come up with the name for the shop? “Crows have always been the sign of primitive décor,” she explained. “As for the spelling – well, people notice it!”
    Before she opened the shop earlier this year, Diana Fowles spent many years as a certified nurses’ aide at Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft; and most recently, at C.A. Dean Hospital in Greenville.
    Currently, As the Crow Flys is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and evenings by appointment; and they’ll have a special holiday open house on Saturday, Nov. 15.
    For more information, call 997-3951.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.