From Our Files

Editor’s note: As readers may have noticed by the special logo on Page One of this newspaper, The Piscataquis Observer is marking 175 years in business in 2013. Throughout the year we will be paying special tribute to the newspaper’s, and region’s, unique and interesting past, culminating in late July with a special 175th Anniversary Supplement and Open House during Homecoming Weekend festivities in early August. With help from Chris Maas of the Dover-Foxcroft Historical Society and the staff of the Thompson Free Library, we will publish a weekly snapshot of the past, called “From Our Files.”

175 years ago: 1838, Piscataquis Herald

    Tailoring establishment: Artemas J. Egery, would inform his friends and the public in general, that he has taken the Shop formerly occupied by Charles Walker, Tailor, and hopes by strict attention to business that will get a share of the public patronage. All garments entrusted with him to be made, will be done in as neat and fashionable style as can be done in Bangor, or elsewhere, and warranted to fit.
    Notice: G.W. Sawyer, agent, reports that the Piscataquis Manufacturing Company will manufacture wool for customers the present season as usual — either by the yard or upon shares. They will manufacture Cassimeres, Plain cloths, Blanketing and Flannels. Cash will be paid for wool.

125 years ago: 1863, Piscataquis Herald

    Dover Town Officers listed: Town meeting was held March 9 with E.S. Greeley as moderator; S.W. Elliot a clerk; E. Flint, John L. Robinson and Mordecai Mitchell as selectmen; Charles H.B. Woodbury as treasurer; Charles E. Kimball at town agent; Ezra Towne as supervisor; and M.L. Robinson as collector and constable. Money raised: $2,500 for town charges; $2,000 for highways; and $1,200 for schools.
    In the military: Lt. Col. C.S. Douty, of Dover, has been appointed Colonel of the 1st Maine Cavalry.

100 years ago: 1913, Piscataquis Observer

    German measles reported: Dr. A.G. Young, secretary of the State Board of Health, was in town Monday and examined the cases of the prevailing epidemic. In a letter to Geo. W. Ham, secretary of the Foxcroft Board of Health, Dr. Young reports that it is his opinion every case examined by him, eleven in number, are German measles. No decision had been made concerning the schools and churches and Sunday schools.
    Call to muster: There will be a drill of El Dorado Encampment Saturday evening. A full attendance is desired.
    Signs of spring: Spring begins officially Friday, but the crows, and the boys playing marbles, have been harbingers of it for several days.

75 years ago: 1938, Piscataquis Observer

    Cosmopolitan Club: Mrs. G.P. Miller served as hostess for a meeting with other federated clubs of the town and Mary Sue Wigley of Alabama was guest speaker with a talk on character and citizenship.

50 years ago: 1963, Piscataquis Observer

    Big sporting news: The re-entry of Milo High School into the Penquis Basketball League became certain this week when it was decided at an open meeting of Milo townspeople and students to advance into Class L in order to return to the league next season. The Panthers, now Class M, will make application to jump up a division for five years to bring them into the same classification as Foxcroft Academy, Greenville, PCHS and Dexter.
    Hold the phone: Former Dover-Foxcroft Pioneer Telephone workers, now retired, include: Mrs. Harriett Gray, former night chief operator for the Moosehead Tel. & Tel. Co., now residing in Manchester; Mrs. Ruth C. Pike, former financing cashier for Moosehead and service rep for New England, and Arthur Thompson, former line foreman for Moosehead, now both residing in Dover-Foxcroft; Herbert F. Martin, former general manager for the Eastern Tel. & Tel., and John F. McFaul, former Dover and Foxcroft manager for New England Co., now both residing in Calais; and Percy York, former wire chief for Moosehead and staff engineer for New England, now residing in Farmington, N.H.

25 years ago: 1988, Piscataquis Observer

    Longtime dentist: Dr. Leo V. Robbins D.D. S., born in Fort Kent in 1894, recalled his long career in dentistry. “Doc” Robbins and his wife Hilda moved to Dover-Foxcroft around 1932 and served patients from Millinocket to Bar Harbor, and all points in-between. He retired in the mid-1970s but continued to work on dental plates until 1978. He and his wife attend church services regularly and can be often seen walking in their West Main Street neighborhood.



Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.