From Our Files

    Editor’s note: As readers may have noticed by the special logo on Page One of this newspaper, The Piscataquis Observer is marking 175 years in business in 2013. Throughout the year we will be paying special tribute to the newspaper’s, and region’s, unique and interesting past, culminating in late July with a special 175th Anniversary Supplement and Open House during Homecoming Weekend festivities in early August. With help from Chris Maas of the Dover-Foxcroft Historical Society and the staff of the Thompson Free Library, we will publish a weekly snapshot of the past, called “From Our Files.”

175 years ago: 1838, Piscataquis Herald

    New County Created: With the stroke of his pen, Governor Edward Kent signed a proclamation creating Piscataquis County, Maine. Formed partly from Somerset, but more largely from Penobscot and incorporated on March 23, 1838. Named for the Native American word meaning “river branch.” In 1844, a portion of its territory, nearly sixty townships, was set off and annexed to Aroostook County. The county seat was established in Dover.

100 years ago: 1913, Piscataquis Observer

    Mud Season: The Blethen House hack was on wheels last Friday. The sleighing in town is very bad and we expect to see more wheels out before many days. There is yet a good body of snow remaining out of town. In the woods there are three feet on a level and outside fully two and a half.
    Clock fixed: Some of the citizens of Foxcroft have subscribed the necessary amount and the town clock again tells the hours. The town made no appropriations at the annual town meeting for winding it.
    New business: John W. Ronco has recently opened a restaurant at West Cove.

75 years ago: 1938, Piscataquis Observer

    Cold weather crop: In spite of the trouble occasioned by the ice jam, harvesting ice on the river has been going on, Z. Drinkwater having resumed his custom cutting, and L.M. Hathorn has put a larger supply than last year.
    Distracted driver: One of the large windows in the Haskell & Corthell store was broken Monday morning when an automobile driver lost control of his machine which crossed the sidewalk and made an assault on the building.
    Improved telegraph service:  In order give better telegraph service to the people of Dover-Foxcroft Manager J.A. Reed of the Northern-Western Union Co., has arranged to bill from his office the telegraph charges on telegrams telephoned to the Western Union in Bangor after the local office is closed for the night.

50 years ago: 1963, Piscataquis Observer

    Musical mixture: The combined concert of the Bangor High and the Foxcroft Academy bands and vocal groups will be presented Saturday in the Academy gym. Bangor is supervised by M. Manning Atherton, the son of local vocal musical supervisor, Mrs. Lilla R. Atherton. The FA bands were conducted by Robert M. Thorne.

25 years ago: 1988, Piscataquis Observer

    Bridge dilemma: The bridge on Main St. is presently undergoing major repairs after it was severely damaged, and the retaining wall at the dam beside it, were nearly destroyed in the April 1, 1987 flood leaving the south side of the bridge closed to pedestrian traffic. Jim Robinson’s Mobil Station, also located on the southeasterly side of the bridge, has been closed since the flood. He is temporarily doing business at Robinson’s Oil Co. at the corner of South and Pine streets. Town Manager Owen Pratt admitted the present bridge repair project has been “a long drawn-out process.”


Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.