From our Files – Headlines from 175 years of local news.

    Editor’s note: As readers may have noticed by the special logo on Page One of this newspaper, The Piscataquis Observer is marking 175 years in business in 2013. Throughout the year we will be paying special tribute to the newspaper’s, and region’s, unique and interesting past, culminating in late July with a special 175th Anniversary Supplement and Open House during Homecoming Weekend festivities in early August. With help from Chris Maas of the Dover-Foxcroft Historical Society and the staff of the Thompson Free Library, we will publish a weekly snapshot of the past, called “From Our Files.”

175 years ago: 1838,
Piscataquis Herald

    Weekly newspaper launched: From his offices in the attic story of the store occupied by A.S. Patten, Esq., editor George V. Edes wrote a mission statement for his fledgling newspaper: “In January last we issued our Prospectus for establishing at Foxcroft, a neutral paper to be titled the Piscataquis Herald. That prospectus was issued without a competent knowledge of the wants and circumstances of this section of the State; and although we had assurance of a very respectable patronage for such a paper, we are now fully satisfied that the times and the people demand a more decided course. That Whig principles and Whig measures are the order of the day, and upon their triumphant success depends our national and individual welfare. With these convictions and this belief, we now offer to publish the Piscataquis Herald at Dover, the shire town of the County of Piscataquis.”

100 years ago: 1913,
Piscataquis Observer

    Local news: Thompson Guernsey received a fine parrot as a present. Miss Bertha Hager is employed in the local telephone exchange. A.H. Bartlett has had a telephone installed at his home on South Street, 55-5. The ladies of Abbot, by their sewing circle, have raised over $300 this year towards buying a hearse. E. B. Spearing is fitting up a public bath at his laundry. J.C. and M.S. Cross and A.F. Mansell have returned from a week’s fishing at Sebec Lake. They caught 517 pickerel, weighing over 400 pounds. They sold readily at 12 cents a pound.

75 years ago: 1938,
Piscataquis Observer

    Horse races on the river: In his “The Ice Racing Fan” column, Bud Dolbier blamed the jinx of rain for canceling Saturday’s racing card by the Dover-Foxcroft Racing Association on the ice-covered Piscataquis River.

25 years ago: 1988,
Piscataquis Observer

    YMCA open house well attended: Barry Costa, executive director of the Piscataquis Regional YMCA, was very pleased with the large volume of people that flowed through the entrance of the new building. Once inside they were greeted by directors and music provided by “the Alumni,” a group of local musicians.

Piscataquis Observer File photograph: 1963

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.