Dover-Foxcroft

A different kind of uniform recognizes Chief Dyer’s 40 years with D-F PD

By Stuart Hedstrom 
Staff Writer

DOVER-FOXCROFT — For 40 years, including the last 27 as chief, Dennis Dyer has served the town of Dover-Foxcroft as a member of the community’s police department. On the morning of Feb. 8 Dyer was recognized by Foxcroft Academy with the presentation of a football jersey with his name and the number 40.

ne-dyercolor-dc-po-7

Observer photo/Stuart Hedstrom

NUMBER 40 FOR HIS 40 YEARS — Foxcroft Academy recognized Dover-Foxcroft Police Chief Dennis Dyer for his 40 years with the department — including the last 27-plus as chief — by presenting him with a number 40 football jersey during a school assembly on the morning of Feb. 8. Presenting Dyer, left, with the uniform is Head of School Arnold Shorey.

“2012 marked the 40th year of police service for Dennis A. Dyer,” Foxcroft Academy Head of School Arnold Shorey said during a school assembly, adding that Dyer reached the four decade milestone in the fall. “In 1985, Mr. Dyer became just the third full-time police chief in the history of Dover-Foxcroft, and he still occupies the position today.”

Shorey then shared some remarks from Jeff Weatherbee, who from 1995 to 2011 served as a part-time patrolman and office manager under Dyer with the Dover-Foxcroft Police Department.

Weatherbee wrote, “I believe that I speak for everyone who has worked with Chief Dyer when I say I’ve never met anyone who was more concerned about what was going on around the town than he was. His dedication to the town and its people is above reproach. He has volunteered a countless number of hours to this pursuit, always caring more about the good of the community than his own personal gain. He has been a great friend of Foxcroft Academy through the years, always working tirelessly with FA to ensure the safety of its students. Above all else, he is just a really good person to work for.”

Shorey also shared some words of Pete Caruso, a former school history teacher who also has run the Foxcroft Academy Driver’s Ed program for a number of years. Caruso wrote, “Chief Dennis Dyer has been an  incredible asset to the Driver Education program at Foxcroft Academy. Throughout the years that the program has been in existence he has participated in our classes on a regular basis.

“Often, he has come into school on either his vacation time or when he is off duty. I can remember the times that he even came from his beloved hunting camp during deer season to speak to the students. The students always looked forward to his visit and quite often asked, ‘When is the chief coming to class?’  Congratulations Chief Dyer on your 40 years of service to Dover-Foxcroft, and thank you for your willing assistance to the Driver Education Program at Foxcroft Academy. The students have benefited from your participation.”

“On a personal note, I would like to add that in my three years here Chief Dyer has certainly earned my respect,” Shorey said. “I can’t imagine a better police chief for the town of Dover-Foxcroft. So today, in honor of his 40 years of police service, I am honored to present Chief Dyer with his very own Foxcroft Academy football jersey.”

As those in attendance stood and clapped, Dyer was presented with a maroon uniform with his name on the back. The jersey had the number 40 to symbolize his 40 years with the police department.

“You said you always wanted a football jersey, so here’s number 40,” Shorey said. “I guess that makes you a fullback.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.