Dover-Foxcroft

Fun and games promote No Name Calling Week

By Stuart Hedstrom 
Staff Writer

DOVER-FOXCROFT — Several activities for students at SeDoMoCha Elementary School helped them further understand the proper behavior promoted during the annual No Name Calling Week and have fun in the process.

ne-nonames-dc-po-5

Observer photo/Stuart Hedstrom

NICE WORDS — Students at SeDoMoCha Elementary brainstormed kind words as one of the activities during the school’s No Name Calling Week. The words were then listed on a hallway display to help promote positive behavior.

“The children brainstormed ideas on kind words, positive words instead of name calling,” first-grade teacher Karen Goodman said.

Heather Madore said her first-grade students had little difficulty in coming up kind words, including “thank you,” “please” and “you’re welcome.”

The two teachers took the lists of their pupils’ words and wrote them, using several different marker colors, on comic-strip style bubbles which were then posted on the wall outside the classroom doors for all to see in the hallway. “Every grade has done them,” Goodman said with each class having a kind word display of its own.

The displays were one of several activities marking No Name Calling Week at SeDoMoCha from Jan. 22-25. Goodman and Madore said Friday, Jan. 25 was a hat day in which students and teachers could wear hats to symbolize putting a lid on name calling.

Other days making up the week included a sports day on Tuesday where those in the building were encouraged to wear clothing promoting their favorite athletic teams and a sense of togetherness and a crazy clothes day on Wednesday which helped highlight everyone’s uniqueness. On Thursday was “I like hue,” Goodman said as each grade had a specific color of clothing to wear.

“We got posters from the middle school,” Madore said as older students at SeDoMoCha created posters for their younger peers to tie in with No Name Calling Week. The poster outside of Madore’s class featured drawings of students saying phrases such as “thank you,” “stop calling me names,” and “I like your hair.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.