Dover-Foxcroft

Commissioners send letter to contractor about Barnard road conditions

By Bill Pearson
Staff Writer

DOVER-FOXCROFT — The commissioners unanimously approved to send a letter to a snow plow contractor about their concerns over road conditions between the townships of Barnard and Williamsburg. Commissioner Fred Trask indicated on Jan. 15 he had received several complaints about the road conditions in the past two years.

ne-lieutenant-dc-po-3

Observer photo/Bill Pearson 

LT. KANE — Piscataquis County Sheriff Lieutenant James Kane of Sangerville receives his new badge from his wife, Nicole Kane, during a  Jan. 15 ceremony as Sheriff John Goggin looks on. Kane has worked in law enforcement for 23 years with the last 17 with the county sheriff’s department. He is also recognized by the state as an expert in motor vehicle crash reconstruction.

Trask wanted the contractor, Joe Flint, to adhere to the terms of the plow contract. Trask read from the contract during the meeting which calls for the contractor to begin plowing when at least two inches of snow has fallen and as soon as the roads became icy.

Trask made also his concerns known last year about the roads conditions, but the county awarded Flint the plow contract this year as the low-bidder.   

“I’ve complained and complained, but I never seem to get anywhere and I’d like to know what the other commissioners’ opinion is on the matter,” Trask said. “Last year, I saw between three and four inches on the road. My complaints seem to be falling on deaf ears and I think we should do something about it.”

As part of the snow plowing contract, the county withholds 5 percent of each payment. At the season’s end, the withheld amount is sent to the contractor if the county approves of his performance. The commissioners warned the contractor in the letter if his performance didn’t meet the agreed upon criteria then he wouldn’t receive the adjustment.

In other action, the commissioners approved two service contracts between the town of Monson and the unorganized townships of Barnard and Elliotsville. The commissioners approved a one-year contract for Monson to be the primary fire protection provider for the two communities. The county will pay Monson $9,000 per township for fire protection and services.

The county also contracted with Monson to allow the two townships to use its transfer station for one year. The county will pay $9,350 per community to use the Monson Transfer Station.

The commissioners also unanimously approved the promotion of James Kane, of Sangerville, to lieutenant in the sheriff’s department. Kane has worked in the department for 17 years. He has served as a patrolman, investigator and DARE officer during his tenure. He is also recognized by the state as an expert in motor vehicle crash reconstruction.

The commissioners will meet next at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 5 in the Peaks House County Commissioners office.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.