D-F selectmen set warrant for June 11

Share or Comment

DOVER-FOXCROFT — When Dover-Foxcroft residents head to the polls on Tuesday, June 11, they will be voting on the municipal budget, several town positions as well as the RSU 68 budget. The warrants for these items were signed by the selectmen during a May 13 meeting.

One question will concern an approximate $4.76 million town budget for 2019-20, which after revenues equals $2,911,010 to be raised. The two totals are up from about $4.3 million and $2,814,250 for the current year. Residents will also be voting on a land use ordinance and shoreland zoning ordinance.

The election portion of the ballot features a choice of two candidates for 3-year terms on the selectboard, with incumbents Jane K. Conroy and Gail M. D’Agostino and Barry G. Hutchins listed. Incumbents Jennifer B. Chase and Marc G. Poulin are both listed for RSU 68 school board seats as citizens will choose two candidates for 3-year terms.

The HAD 4 board of directors has elections for two seats. For a 3-year term there is a choice between incumbent Christopher R. Clukey, August W. Erspamer or Samuel L. Katz. A 1-year term features incumbent George T. Barton or Dorthea E. Perkins.

The Thompson Free Library Executive Committee has one position for a year and Barbara H. Erspamer is listed on the ballot.

On June 11 Dover-Foxcroft residents will join those living in Charleston, Monson and Sebec to vote “yes” or “no” on the RSU 68 school budget total approved at the annual district meeting at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 28 at the SeDoMoCha School. RSU 68 officials are bringing forward a near $11.8 million budget for 2019-20.

These voters will also be asked if they want to continue the district budget meeting/budget validation process for another three years.

“If voters say ‘no’ then it reverts back to what it used to be, they have their district meeting and voters vote by hand,” Town Manager Jack Clukey said.

He said more than a decade ago the Legislature approved a change to add a referendum to the school budget approval process and individual districts could then have a choice to continue with the additional step or not. He said the referendum question has been approved several times since in RSU 68.

In other business, Clukey said he has spoken with a representative from NEWS CENTER Maine which includes television stations WLBZ 2 of Bangor and WCSH 6 of Portland. “They are interested in doing a commercial in town and their theme would be Dover-Foxcroft is not a boring town,” he said.

Earlier this year the online magazine called Dover-Foxcroft the most boring town in the state, based on factors such as median age, nightlife and population density.

Clukey said NEWS CENTER Maine will be working with the town and Dover-Foxcroft businesses to develop 15- and 30-second ads specific to each season highlighting various activities and establishments. He said the commercials would run statewide as well for streaming services featuring network programs.

“Our share would be 25 percent of the cost, which is $5,000,” Clukey said. He said the town has funding available in promotion and development accounts and the business community would cover the other 75 percent of ad costs.
The selectmen passed a motion allowing for Clukey to pursue the opportunity.

“Several months ago we talked about the Spirit of America Award,” the town manager said. “We didn’t get a lot of response to that but we did get a nomination.”

The Friends of Central Hall and Maine Highlands Senior Center have been nominated as co-recipients for the honor for efforts to renovate the building into a community space over the last near decade.

The Spirit of America Foundation is a public charity established in Augusta in 1990 to honor volunteerism. The foundation award is presented in the name of Maine municipalities to local individuals, organizations and projects for commendable community service.

In his report, Clukey said he and Owen Chaplin of Gorrill Palmer “are going to be spending some time this week looking at the paving plan and roads and what we might bring forward this year.”

Clukey said the selectmen have a draft request for proposals/scope of work for a downtown traffic study. He said included is a stipulation that there will be a public meeting at the beginning of the process and another when the preliminary recommendations are made.

Share or Comment

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.