Updated book on railroad in Brownville Junction now available
BROWNVILLE — The Brownville-Brownville Junction Historical Society is pleased to announce Ken Hatchette’s latest book “The Canadian Pacific Railroad in Brownville Junction, Maine 1886 to 1963” is available now at the Parish House Museum on Church Street, Simple Sacks on the Main Road and the Milo and Points North Visitors Center on the Gerrish Road. If you do not live locally, you may want to consider ordering this book from the Historical Society (B-BJ Historical Society) 100 Williamsburg Road, Williamsburg Twp., ME 04414) or from Amazon.com.
This book contains the text of Hatchette’s first book “More Than a Train Yard and a Whistle Stop: The Canadian Pacific Railroad in Brownville Junction 1886 to 1963” and additional information about the Henderson school system, P. Turner Bone’s design contributions, new and unpublished photos of the town and the CPR and maps that depict the location of the CPR buildings including the shops, roundhouse, stores buildings the original station and more.
The books chronicle the history of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s (originally known as the International Railway of Maine) development in Brownville Junction from the original land purchases from local farmers in 1886 through the “glory years” of railroading to its decline in the 1960s. It also describes the building of a town named Henderson, solely for the purpose of supporting the Canadian Pacific Railroad’s maintenance and operations requirements. The book includes information about the buildings and infrastructure of the railroad, job descriptions of those who worked on the railroad in the community and the services that came to this small town because of its connection with the railroad.
Hatchette’s first book has been a tremendous success for the historical society with copies purchased throughout the U.S. and Canada. There are still a limited number of copies of this original book available, however when the supply is depleted it will not be reprinted. Remaining copies are available at the Parish House Museum, Simple Sacks and at the Milo and Points North Visitors Center.
Proceeds from the books are dedicated to improving the infrastructure of the museum. In 2017 the museum was able to install a heat pump to increase the length of time that the museum is accessible to the public and provide a comfortable working environment for the volunteers.
The museum is currently open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and by appointment (call Susan Worcester at 965-8070). It will also be open during the Brownville Community Church’s Old Home Days on Aug. 4 from 9 a.m. to noon and on Aug. 25 for the Brownville Junction High School reunion from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 3 p.m.
Questions about the books, the historical society and the Parish House Museum may be directed to Worcester at 965-8070. Please also visit www.trcmaine.org/brownvillehistorical.